International Daiquiri Day is on the 19th of July but we in Bangalore do not have the patience to wait !!! So we decided to have a go at it on the 17th itself, with Balakrishnan Subramanyan our ace mixologist from Vgulp who was our personal Bartender or as I would like to call him, our Bala’Tender, who tenderly created special variants of the Daiquiri for his special friends.
Vgulp is a platform for bars in Bangalore and through their channels Gulpmag and Gulpwiki, the help pub goers in their quest for a good drink. They also conduct workshops and events to further enhance the learning experience.
Daiquiri is a cocktail that was first made in 1902 and the name is derived from the place called Daiquiri which is near Cuba.
The classic one is made with rum, lime and sugar but variants do exist.
Bangalores hip and happening City Bar was the chosen venue and 2 Indies rum from Amruth and Bacardi White played the leading roles in the action packed event.
The 5 cocktails that were demonstrated were the
1) The classic daiquiri- White Rum, Lime and Sugar
2) Orange Sour Daiquiri- White rum, Lime, Sugar, egg white, orange juice, Orange for garnish and cinnamon stick
3) Cilantro and white wine Daiquiri- Coriander, White rum, sugar, lime, white wine
4) Spicy mango basil daiquiri- Mango pulp, dark rum, basil leaves, lime and sugar
5) Chilli Pepper and coconut daiquiri- Tender Coconut water, coconut milk, black pepper corns, sugar syrup, Dark rum, toasted fresh coconut.
The mango and coconut got the vote, from the coastal native hidden inside me !!!
For more pictures see My Facebook – City Bar-World Daiquiri Day
July 17th, 2016