Given below are a collection of recipes created by the chefs/faculty at The Nutrition and Nutraceutical Research Centre (NNRC), Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences (RUAS) during the workshop that was conducted as a run up event for the upcoming Organics Millets International Trade Fair 2018 (OMITF2019) scheduled for Jan 18th-20th, 2019, at the Bangalore Palace grounds
The workshop details can be found here.
Millet Patty, Kibbeh and Nipattu
Millet Cottage cheese and spinach patty –
|Garam masala||2 gm|
- Boil the pearl millet until soft
- Pressure cook potato with some salt until soft, remove the peal and mash when hot so that the moisture in the potato evaporates
- Blanch the spinach and remove the excess water and finely chop
- Grate the cottage cheese
- Combine all the ingredients to form a dough
- Divide the ingredients into equal size and shape into disc
- Baste some melted butter over the tikki and air fry for 8 min or
8. Shallow fry in oil to get golden brown crust
- This can be served hot as millet patty or layered into burger bun for millet burger
|Sorghum millet bulgur||50g|
- Rinse the bulgur wheat three times, and broken sorghum millet then transfer to a bowl and pour over 1 cup boiling water. Cover and leave till soft and sticky while you prepare the stuffing.
For the stuffing,
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion gently for 8 minutes or until soft.
- Add the pistachio nuts and stir over medium-high heat for a minute or so before adding the spices, raisins and chicken and stir-frying until cooked
- Season and turn off the heat, then stir in the cilantro leaves. Drain the bulgur wheat thoroughly and transfer to a bowl.
- In a processor, pulse the chicken meat, onion, and spices together with some more seasoning until combined.
- Mix into the bulgur and broken sorghum, kneading like dough.
- Stir in a spoon of yogurt and season generously.
- Take a golf ball-sized amount of the bulgur mix in wet hands and flatten into your palm.
- Place a teaspoon or so of the stuffing mixture into the center and then, with a little more bulgur mix, enclose the stuffing and form into a small lemon shape.
- Heat 1-2 inches or so of oil in a deep frying pan. When sizzling hot but not smoking hot, add the kibbeh and fry for 7-10 minutes or until they are deep brown all over.
- Drain on paper towels.